Pages

Amazon Homepage

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Vampire Repellant

Did you know that basil plants can't stand the cold? Well, they don't. They are like that skinny, wet kitten who just took a bath - shivering and mewing. Only plants can't shiver...or mew. So they do the next best thing - they start to die.

After a whole summer of enjoying Caprese Salad (otherwise known as Buffalo Tomato and Mozzarella) made with fresh basil from our herb garden, I was threatened with losing my Basil Emporium by the recent drop in temperature. What's a sloth to do?

We cut the whole thing down and ground it into pesto sauce. My kids love it on everything from chicken and pasta to zucchini. I'm going to try it on fish next. The only downfall is, their breath reeks like garlic the next day. Jeepers! Thank God I'm not a vampire because I still need my sophomoric kisses.

Here's the wee recipe:

Fresh Basil
1 small tin of Anchovies with capers or separate
1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
1 tablespoon of minced garlic or two - three garlic cloves
A dash of salt

Place all ingredients in a food processor, pulse-chop a couple of times and Pesto! Yes, that was corny.

I skipped adding too much olive oil because it separates when you store it. Plus, I tend to cook with olive oil so I figured add it then. Something like sauteed spinach or string beans - heck, why not tofu? My mother would kill me, but she's not your mother so what do you care?

Just be prepared with some mints the next day and you'll be fine. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment