Pages

Amazon Homepage

Thursday, August 26, 2010

It's Not A Soccer Mom Cut

The thing about getting a haircut that I hate the most is making a reservation for it. You call, co-ordinate and schedule a whole day around getting coiffed. It's tedious. Sometimes the salon experience is heavenly - almost worth the sixty, seventy, ninety or a hundred and thirty dollars (these are NYC prices). But I was looking like a hippie and this was my last kid-less day - it was now or never.

Fortunately for me, in my neighborhood of Sunnyside, Queens there are as many hair salons as there are bars. As a matter of fact, you can't go more than two blocks without running by one of them. Although they are many, there are only a few salons that I would actually consider. The plan was to hit all of them until I was seen - right then and there.

"Hair We Are" was the second place I hit. Rosa was available and the price was right - I love when spontaneity works. Rosa made me laugh when she told me she was going to make me "sexy."  Nobody's ever promised me that before. Manageable, easy to style, compliments the face - those are the usual promises I get. Sexy? That would take a miracle but give it a shot - just don't make me look like a soccer mom.

So she snipped away while Boston played More Than A Feeling on the radio and I wondered why anyone would bother playing that song anymore.  Is it even in "Guitar Heroes"? The things you think about while sitting in a hairdresser's chair.

It took her all of thirty-six minutes to shampoo, cut and blow dry my hair. The whole time, my mother was calling me, needing to know where I was. Apparently, she showed up at my house with a plate of Yakisoba and since I didn't answer her call, she took it home with her. Bummer. Not that my fat ass needed it but her Yakisoba is killer.

Guess spontaneity does have it's drawbacks. As for my hair cut - it's not some meticulous Do of precision and skill but at least I don't look like I drive a minivan.

Hair We Are : 45-14 Queens Blvd (718) 729-HAIR or 4247 Rosa is there Wednesday through Sunday. Cut is $25, blow dry is an additional $10. They do nails and eye brow threading there, too.

3 comments:

  1. You're right about the entire hair appointment process being tedious. I try to put it off as long as possible.

    How about posting a photo of the new 'do? I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit it took me nearly a year to schedule a hair appointment for myself. I started doing the ponytail thing for months until I gave myself a birthday present and dragged myself to the salon. The entire time I sat there, all 120 minutes, I was dreading the cost - $175!!! At that price they better be performing miracles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for visiting AND for requesting pictures, too. Yes, it's hard to actually "enjoy" the salon experience when all you're worried about is the price. Speaking of worried...I used to manage a high end salon, so posting pictures might be asking for trouble. cough!Facebook

    ReplyDelete