Pages

Amazon Homepage

Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Grasshopper and The Ant

Seeing friends, playing music, eating good food, drinking cold beer. That's what my writing schedule had been up against these past weeks. Is it any wonder I have only posted three blog entries in August? I feel like that Grasshopper who whittled away his summer having a good time and poking fun at the hard working ant, only to starve and nearly freeze his ass off in the winter until the good ant saved him.

You know what though, that's what August is about in my feeble opinion. It's your last chance to savor the summer - have that summer fling...create memories worthy of a pop song. Really, if you can't enjoy slacking off every once in a while, you're going to wind up like that stressed out Jet Blue flight attendant.

In Japan, everybody is practically forced to take the same week off in August - it's called "Obon." And since Japan has to insert a purpose into everything, including a vacation, everyone is required to visit the grave of a loved one and pay their respects. Anybody who blatantly disrespects this observance is set on fire.

No, of course I'm kidding. Even the not so blatant blasphemers are set ablaze.

But enough about Japan. I don't know anything about that country except for what my mother tells me and she was too eccentric to live by their standards anyway - so let's move on.


If you are in the New York City area this Sunday, August 22, 2010 - there is the Hudson River Park's Blue's BBQ scheduled to go on rain or shine. I'm looking forward to going because it has the three essential B's: Blues, Barbeque and Beer. Who can argue with that? Again, that's the Grasshopper talking.

Well, I'm getting some work done, now that I've finally finished reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. Although the book was amazing, it took me a long time to finish it - about six weeks to be exact. I highly, highly recommend it. Not only was the story fantastic, her writing was PHenomenal with a capital ph.

The thing I hate about taking a long time to finish a good book is I tend to go through "Post Good-Long-Book Depression." I get so used to reading about these characters that not having these characters in my life anymore makes me melancholy. It may be the real reason why I read so slow - because I'm savoring the relationship of reading the story...or I could just be retarded like my mother thinks I am.

Thanks for stopping by....now, where's my drink?

No comments:

Post a Comment