Pages

Amazon Homepage

Monday, June 20, 2011

Bill And Al Sitting In A Tree

I'd rather see my son grow up to be a drag queen than a politician - at least it's an honest paradox. Plus, I could borrow his handbags. Thank goodness the Weiner drama has finally drawn to an end. But now when I watch the news in the morning, the focus seems to fall on making same sex marriage legal in New York. I know there are a lot of people who oppose it and all I can say is, lighten up - will ya?

It's not like men and women have the whole marriage thing down pat. If we did, then I'd agree that marriage should only be recognized between a man and a woman. But seriously, there are a lot of people who should've never gotten married and successfully made a complete shambles out of it: Joey Buttafuoco, Britney Spears, Bill Clinton and Tiger Woods to name a few. Where's the law that protects marriage from being lampooned by these misbehaving tramps?

But maybe it's not them. Perhaps our moral standards are too high and what we need to do is just categorize our nuptial intentions. Let the folks getting married for love tie the knot with the promise to love and cherish till death sets them on fire, while the folks whose matrimony is strictly monetary can promise to share it nicely. Then you got folks like my parents..."you're what?"

Anyway, it's only recently that marriage for love is accepted world wide. Even Charles and Diana didn't look half as in love as their son is to Kate. That's because their marriage was - as it still is in many cultures - an economic arrangement. I'm not Tina Turner or nothin' but when it comes to getting hitched, what's love got to do with it?

If two people of the same sex want to legalize their commitment to each other, so what? Why should heterosexual couples monopolize messy divorces, trouble with in-laws and prenuptial agreements - it's time we spread the killjoy.

I get a little irritated by the homophobes but they're entitled to their opinions - no matter how ignorant they sound - and their reluctance to accept gay marriages is a given. But what's with the religious folks? Isn't the church supposed to be a sanctuary? What kind of religion turns followers away - what kind of God teaches people to pass judgement instead of compassion? It seems highly hypocritical, if you ask me.

They should really ask themselves, what would Jesus do?

If you don't agree with me, fine. I'm really not trying to change anybody's mind - I'm just stating my own. This is my avenue and my blog, so I can do that. If you want to damn me to Hell, however, please do it on your own blog - not here. I mean, I would like to know who is damning me to Hell so I can send a postcard when I get there but I'm trying to keep this post upbeat. Thanks for co-operating.

2 comments:

  1. I've got to save this line--"What would Jesus do?", the next time I debate this with anyone.

    I won't damn you to Hell, but I'll be happy to take a postcard from you. Shall I send you my address?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No address necessary. I'm sure Heaven and Hell share the same database!

    ReplyDelete