Pages

Amazon Homepage

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Lost And Found Regular

Thanks to my six-year old, I'm a regular at the lost and found. You know that saying, he'd forget his head if it weren't screwed on? Well, that's him. Every teacher of his has had the same complaint about him: he leaves his things all over the place.

Honestly, I don't know where he gets it from. Daddy, Mommy and both grandma's are fairly organized when it comes to personal property. By that, I mean we don't leave our crap everywhere and wonder where it is five minutes later. All of us have had our scatterbrained moments but for the most part - we're together.

From the very beginning, we taught him to put away his things. We'd given him his special coat hook to hang up his coat, book bag hook to hang up his school bag, socks and gloves drawer right by the door - so how come he can't put his stuff away? Why does he undress like he's exploded?

Sometimes, I wonder if I'm being a hard ass. I mean, he's only six-years old and he's a boy, right? But his friends come over for a play date and they hang up their coats and put away their shoes (we don't wear shoes in the house).

He even has this one friend who is so concerned about forgetting his stuff that he'd rather sweat in his hoodie than take it off and risk forgetting it there.

That's proof enough for me that being six-years old or being a boy is no excuse. My son's a natural stripper and he likes to give his clothes away, apparently. It's only January and already he's lost three pairs of gloves this winter. He got a new pair from Grammy for Christmas - he's worn them - as a pair - two out of six times. The first day he came back with just the right hand.

"Where's the other one?" I asked.

"Umm, at school."

"What's it doing at school?"

"Uh...it's hiding."

I deserved that answer.

It got to the point that I didn't even check his pockets or his school bag to make sure he had everything - I just went straight to the Lost and Found. But I learned that you never actually find what you've lost at the Lost and Found. No, the Lost and Found is a graveyard for unwanted clothes. And it was there that I learned that a lot of parents spend a lot of money on a fancy lunchbox for their kid and don't bother to put the kid's name on it.

I've considered sewing his clothes to his underwear and securing it to his body with "Sock Glue" but his teachers might think me a little extreme. So, I've succumbed to the idea that my kid doesn't have his own coat hook at school, he has a black hole. And until they fix this black hole, his wardrobe will consist of hand-me-downs, used clothing from thrift shops and Frankenpants.

10 comments:

  1. Ummm - I hate to say it but I know where he gets it from....ME! Ask Joe - every morning - without fail - "where's my shoes?, WTF did I leave my keys?....."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh, don't flatter yourself. You're not THAT bad...besides, you've taught him how to spot a good bakery no matter where he is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absent mindedness - that's a sign of genius, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate. My kids keep losing things, too. The 13 year old boy is the worst. He balks at Frankenpants, but he hasn't quite figured out that I am done replacing items..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hoping it's genius - he's too young to have Alzheimer's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you there, no more replacing items. Who cares if he looks like a hobo?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why does he undress like he's exploded?

    Seriously. That might be the funniest line I've read all week.

    They have these little alligator clips that attach your gloves to the cuffs of your coat. They don't work for us (we always seem to lose the alligator clips... argh!), but they might be worth a shot for you. It might at least DELAY the trips to the lost and found at least...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to giggle at this because I find myself asking the same things. Why in the world are my kids so disorganized & "lost"?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post cracked me up because Tyler thinks the coffee table is a hamper for his socks... he puts up everything but insistantly leaves his little dirty socks on my coffee table .. He is good about remembering things because I am real good at telling him if he likes them he needs to keep up with them because I am only buying it ONE time

    ReplyDelete
  10. Phew! This only confirms that kids leaving their clothes everywhere is a National problem.

    ReplyDelete