Pages

Amazon Homepage

Thursday, October 14, 2010

How Do I Dress Thee For Art Class

Lately, I just can't wait for Saturday mornings. Ever since Zuki enrolled in Art For Kids at SVA (School of Visual Arts) come Saturday morning I feel like a ten-year old kid leaping out of bed to go watch some toons. I could make myself out to be the selfless mom - say I'm ushering my child to higher education and all but the truth is I just love having 90 minutes of freedom in the city.

There's a Trader Joe's on the corner, a Bed Bath and Beyond over yonder, Burlington Coat Factory, H&M, Daffy's, Old Navy even a Home Depot! I don't buy anything mind you, I just look at stuff that I'd like to buy if an armored vehicle insisted I have a bag o' bills for graciously allowing the guards to use our bathroom.

Yeah, I got high standards when it comes to dreaming up shit.

Last week, during Zuki's class, Daddy and I took little brother Samu to the Cupcake Cafe on 18th Street between Sixth and Fifth. It's a children's bookstore that has a huge cafe inside and they sell - you got it - cupcakes. Beautiful cupcakes, too. It's almost a shame to eat them, but eat them we must.

Samu put up a fit when it was time to leave and pick up big bro, which was funny because he had a huge crying fit when Zuki entered class. There's no winning with a three-going-on-four year old.

What Samu was really upset about was that big bro was taking a class without him. The audacity. Samu thinks he can do everything better than Zuki and he couldn't understand why he wasn't allowed to attend. I guess it wasn't surprising when Samu rubbed it in that he ate a cupcake while we were waiting and he topped it off by saying, "It was DEEE-licious!"

As for the art class - it seems Zuki is really enjoying them. Last week, they worked with clay and I was so glad I dressed him in a black hoodie because it made the white clay hand prints on it really stand out. Guess there's no saving clothes from art in progress. Next time, I think I'll let Zuki go with the Jackson Pollock look: t-shirt and worn out jeans. Oh, yeah and a mug of coffee.

2 comments:

  1. Art class sounds so cool for him...And a bonus of mom time sounds even better .... I am jealous I love cupcakes... It is hard for the little ones to understand sometime that activities have to be separate... But hey cupcakes make it better

    ReplyDelete
  2. And they truly are deee-licious!

    ReplyDelete